ISLAND FARM POW CAMP - an
The current situation
* More than half of the building is currently off-limits owing to the bat
population. This obviously restricts usage of the building and in historical
terms is in the ‘wrong’ part of the building. While the bat population is in
residence it means that conservation work to this part of the building cannot be
The immediate necessities
That part of the building that is currently available for viewing by the public,
and for restoration by those interested in its conservation, is in dire need of
extensive work to show it off to its best. Without this work the building will
decay through lack of investment and use, and the area will lose an important
* The restoration of several rooms to their historic state – perhaps a journey
through time where ordnance factory accommodation, British troops, US GI
accommodation (black and white), and those of the two sets of German POWs are
reflected in a phased occupation.
* Funding is required for this work.
Sources of funding
* An application for funding will be made to the Heritage Lottery Fund.
What will the site provide at the completion of this work?
* The aim of this project should be to provide regular openings to visitors
where volunteer re-enactors and local historians tell the story of part of the
site through the years.
* Permanent indoor displays of information, artefacts and recreated rooms would
need to be provided.
* Our Open Days have been a great success, despite not being widely advertised,
and showed the high level of interest in the site. Use this interest to secure
the future of the site.
* Local schools and the general public would all benefit from such an historical
* Form a Friends of Island Farm Trust with charitable status who draw up a
business plan to draw down local authority funding or, alternatively, take on
ownership of the site and access other funding streams.
* This being the case, work through the elements itemised above.
Hut 9 Preservation Group
Hut 9 Preservation Group Members
be contacted via email. Just click on the member's name
below to start your email application: